CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GriefShare

I went to a program tonight called GriefShare. It is a church based support group for people who are grieving. I was a little nervous. It was at a church I have only visited once and I don't know anyone there. I didn't even know how to get there. I had to google it and even still I took two wrong turns and missed the exit. Good thing I left over an hour early. It was wonderful!!! An incredible blessing. 


I met 8 new friends. They all ministered to me in different ways and I was only there for 2 hours. I can't wait for next week. The greatest blessing was another woman whose husband also committed suicide. It was such a great blessing to find solidarity with her. Suicide is such a ugly beast that comes with a whole hosts of guilty lies. It is a wretched experience to live through but somehow made a little easier with a friend who understands. My new friend is on my heart tonight and I will continue to pray that Christ showers her with blessings and wraps her in His mighty arms.


These are some of the take aways from my meeting which was all about the questions that come with grief, especially the question "why?"...

  • "If I had a God that I understoond, He wouldn't be worth much"
  • "God takes his favorites, his best children (in reference to Job and Paul) through the greatest challenges"
  • when we ask why? God says " I am not giving you information, I am giving you me!"
  • "maturity is delighting in God's unpredictability"
Good stuff huh?



In case you haven't figured it out I live largely through music. I pretty much walk around with a song in my head at all times. It is like having your own personal soundtrack playing. Since I am so passionate about music I love worship songs in particular and that is when I commune best with Christ. My favorite worship song, even before this experience, is Desert Song by Hillsong. 
These are the lyrics:
Verse 1:
This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides
Verse 2:
And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames
Chorus:
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain

I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here
Verse 3:
And this is my prayer in the battle
And triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand
Bridge:
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

Verse 4:
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be empited again
The seed I've recieved I will sow




It is an awesome song.  The chorus and verse three sit particularly strongly with me tonight.


No weapon formed against me shall remain!


That's right devil. Booo-ya! My God is so much greater. He is mighty to save and He loves me fiercely. You can try to thwart me all you want, whisper lies of unworthiness and haunt my sleep but we will still win. I do not fight this battle alone. Each step I take I find more and more allies, sometimes 8 in one night! God will always reign victorious! You meant this for evil but He meant it for good so that I may save many lives. To Him be all the glory!!!


1 Cor. 15:57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


 Cor. 2:14  But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.


romans 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace












3 comments:

Christina

:-) How interesting that you posted that song, because the mix CDs I made this week were to take to you this weekend and that song (also one of my favorites) is on there!! And how amazing of God to find you someone walking the same road... I love how He tells us we are not alone! :-) Looking forward to this weekend!
Chris

Reneyda

WOW! Your words have touched me so.... and I have only read one entry! I love the paragraph that says "Booyah" Woo Hoo! Devil, take that! I look forward to reading all the other entries throughout the day, but this one started my day right.

It was truly a joy and a blessing to meet you last night. You are an amazing, anointed, beautiful, inspiring overcomer. I want to hang out with you!!!

Christine

I'm so glad you're finding comfort and support. I know it's not always this way but you have such a good attitude and are so inspiring.

My church offers a GriefShare program as well. I was visiting with my minister today and told him about your situation so he could keep you on his (private) prayer list. He said to tell you that you are welcome to join our program when you come back to G'ville. You don't have to be a church member-they're happy to have you. (Although I can't promise they won't try to recruit you!-We do have a wonderful church!)

Stay strong! And keep telling the devil off! I love it!