Ok and the collective "awwwwwww" comes out. Who doesn't love that part of Jerry Maguire? It is so sweet. We can't help but have our hearts melt as we dream about finding that perfect person who will complete us.
So in my session with Stephanie today she asked me a question that really took me aback. She asked, "What did Clay give to you in your relationship?" What? what did he give to me, lies and a pain in the butt mess to clean up after he died(that was my immediate thought but not what I said) After I thought about it for a while my answer surprised me.
he gave me myself. He was gone so much and so often that I was always alone. He was disconnected from our marriage in almost all aspects. Here I had my "perfect man", I had the ring, the big wedding, the nice house and the plans for the 2.5 kids but I wasn't complete. why? I had everything that society told me I needed to be complete but I wasn't. I had to learn to be complete in myself, to be complete in God. I think that was the greatest gift that Clay gave me. He freed me of an unfair expectation of him and of myself. I will never again expect someone else to complete me or to make me happy. That is an unfair burden and responsibility to place on another person. They will never complete you, they will never make you completely happy. Joy comes from God who is unfailing in His love and perfection...THAT is where we become complete. Conversely I never expect my partner to have me complete them. What a gift to one another to remove that unfair expectation and what a gift to ourselves. Think about it if you need someone to complete you then you each only bring half of yourselves to the picture, .5+.5 = 1, but if you each bring your whole self completed in God to a relationship you get double your return... 1+1=2! Why would you ever want to live as just a part of yourself. We are complete in Christ, we are loved and we are made whole and beautiful through Him! Even Tom Cruise can't offer that:)
1 Thess. 5:23- And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comments:
You have no idea what a gift it is to learn this at your young age. I realize the circumstances under which you learned this leaves much to be desired but the point is God got you and you learned it!
You are an inspiration and testimony of letting God turn evil to GREAT!!!
Post a Comment