CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A leap of faith, hopefully landing at the She Speaks Conference!

Ever since I began this journey I have felt that God chose me specifically to walk this path for His glory. How many people do you know who have had their husband go missing, find out that their husband was leading a double life including 40,000 in debt and a homosexual lifestyle? How many people find out that their "perfect" Christian husband was soliciting sex from men on craigslist, or that his whole family knew of his homosexuality and mental instability and didn't tell you? How many people find out that their husband committed suicide? How many people watch their story play out on four local news stations giving everyone a look into your most personal and private tragedy and wrongly allowing people to think they have a right to comment on your role in the situation? How many people lose their house, job, husband and trust in the last two years of their life in just one week? How many people do it at age 25? Most importantly, how many people can proclaim God's beauty in all of that?  


I hope for every other woman that the list of people I just described is exceedingly short. For whatever reason, God has chosen to write my name on that list. However, by His grace and love alone I have been richly blessed in each step of my journey. I know the grace, blessings and lessons I have learned are not a treasure to covet for myself. They are to share with everyone, especially women.


Women are simply beautiful from the inside out. We are made with the most precious, intimate part of God's heart. We are wonderfully designed to exude God's beauty. We have the compassionate part of his heart and a quiet strength that only comes from Him. God created in us our ability for what I call the "awwww" feeling. It is why we can't help but smile when we see a baby, why we secretly dance around our room as little, and sometimes even big, girls and why we hopelessly root for Jack to make it alive at the end of Titanic just once! God made this feeling and it is beautiful, precious and unique to women. However we are taught from an early age that this feeling is made for a man. We are taught that "one day our prince will come" and "so this is love, this is what makes life complete."


Don't get me wrong I love Disney. In fact until I was 7 I honestly believed that I would grow up to be the little mermaid and if I am completely honest I am still waiting;) Maybe it is the teacher in me but I just think we have a simple misspelling. You see, we seek out the "awww" feeling from men and we are made to seek the "awe" feeling from Christ. That is why we are so uniquely created. To be passionately loved and pursued by Christ, He is the greatest Prince Charming!


So here is where the conference comes in...


The She Speaks conference is a conference for women who are interested in ministering to other women. It offers an exciting opportunity to learn how to best minister in many avenues; public speaking, leading small groups, blogging and even writing a book. They have offered an incredible opportunity to two women to win a Cecil Murphy scholarship to attend the conference. To enter you have to link your blog to their website and post about the conference. I would love to win this scholarship since I cannot afford the almost $600 fee on my own. I feel so strongly that each woman must learn how to shift from the "awwww" feeling to the "awe" feeling to best serve God. What better testimony than to have someone who's life was so shattered that the only option was to pick up the broken pieces of my life and put them back together in the shape of a cross. I learned the hard way that my trust, my love, my everything must rest in Christ. I praise Him for the opportunity to share my story with other women so they can learn from my tough lessons.


My prayer from the beginning has come from Genesis 50:20 "You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people." I pray that he will open up the opportunity for me to attend this conference so that He can save many lives. To God be all the glory!


For more about the conference you can go here:

http://lysaterkeurst.com/2011/03/she-speaks-scholarship-contest-2011/

7 comments:

Mining for Diamonds

WOW! What a story!!!! I am definitely hooked. I found you by clicking at random on the linky list on Lysa's blog. I pray that GOd will make a way for you to attend this conference, if for no other reason than for me to meet you! You definitely have a story to tell of redemption, it sounds like.

I am doing a little mini series on Joseph and The Pit so your last paragraph and the verse from Genesis particularly caught my curiosity. I also have a sort of "over the top marriage story" that I believe God wants to use to minister to women...and it is for that reason that I'm also going to She Speaks in July.

Blessings to you!

Colleen

Girl I am so honored and blessed to have been chosen to walk through this with you. I mean I wish you didn't have to go through this... but Through this you have continued to show such Love, such Grace, such Beauty, such Courage, such Faith! It was an awesome reflection of God's presence in your heart and it continues to be. You have inspired and amazed me so much and you continue to do so each time you share a little more of yourself, your testimony and lessons learned. God has Great Purpose for you! He brought you through this all for His purpose so it must be good! You can trust I will read every Blog post and every book you write ;o) (because I believe God's got a book in your future) and I will be there when you get your first opportunity to speak and I'd be at every possible one to follow that! I am your biggest fan! (Okay I know I have competition but I am right up there with the rest of them!)<3

Jessica

There is a lack of words in the English language to describe exactly the emotions that stir inside of me each time you share a little more of your heart, your strength, your love and your grace with me (either just me...or us here on this blog)
It is impossible for me to tell you how proud of you I am without sounding like a broken record. But I am. I am so proud of you. For being so strong, so couragous, so faithful, and so graceful. For reaching out when you know you need to. For keeping your heart open to us (your friends) and allowing us to love you thru this.
I have no doubt that you are going to do some amazing mentoring and leading and teaching with this story. Write a book (or have Nick do it for you!) Make a movie. Speak at conferences....I am with Colleen, I am there. Everytime. Every chance I get to see more of your heart! I rival her to be your biggest fan...BUT in a completely loving way :)
Thank you for all you have taught ME through this. For helping me to continue to worship and praise Him even through the rough times.I want to be angry that this has happened to my friend, to someone that I love. I want to be angry that I cannot take all of this away..and in some ways it still is frustrating...but your strength and faith is awe-inspiring and makes me turn to worship Him and seek Him to find my place in this. (meaning what exactly me role as your friend in this is)
I love you.
Always!

Donna

Erin, I discovered your blog thanks to the She Speaks conference. I can honestly say, I'm praying for you to win. Good luck and keep hanging on to hope in Christ.

Christine

I have not looked at all the other blogs, but I know you and I know that you are made for this sort of thing. While I wish you didn't have to go through this pain to do it, you have definitely made a difference in my life and the lives of everyone who hears your story (of course you did that before too!). Your faith and upbeat personality have inspired me more than you know and for that I'm grateful. I am praying that the conference people can see your loving, bubbly personality and genuine heart. No one is better suited for this opportunity than you. PS Someday I want an autographed copy of that inspirational book you're going to write!

Erin

Thank you for all the wonderful, uplifting support! I especially love that I now have two new friends:) I am encouraged to know that other women feel the lessons I have learned can also be applied to their own lives. You all make my heart smile, thank you!

cutigermd

:-) I am with Colleen; I think a book is in your future as well... I mentioned to someone the other day that I think your life and the grace you have walked in through this is PHENOMENAL... not only that, but I think you have an incredible gift in sharing it with other people (your blog is kinda amazing, you truly have a gift for writing) and and I was just saying that I hope someday when she is ready, she shares this with the world because there are SO many that need to hear it!!! Yes! This conference would be perfect and I can't wait to see how God uses it in your life and everyones you come in contact with... LOVE YOU AND PRAYING!!