Hebrews 11:30 - By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they had been encircled for seven days.
"Just about everyone has heard the story about Joshua and the walls of Jericho. It's probably because of the song, "Joshua fit the battle of Jericho, and walls came a-tumblin' down." In any case, the story is no legend or myth. About 40 years after the Hebrews made their exodus from Egypt, they fought a decisive battle at Jericho in order to establish a beachhead in the new homeland. Jericho was a walled city and presented a major obstacle to the Hebrews because it was right smack in the middle of their path into the Promised Land. Jericho had to go! Because the Hebrews looked to the Lord in faith, God miraculously took Jericho out of their way and the conquest of the Holy Land was able to proceed.
The sixth chapter of the book of Joshua gives us the dramatic account of this unique battle in history. Read Joshua chapters 1-6 in order to see all the important steps leading up to that climactic moment when the walls of Jericho collapsed. All of this is important history, because it is the divine record of how Israel received the land that God had promised them long before (Genesis 15:18). Through this nation in this land was to come the Savior for all mankind!" Borrowed from www. growingchristian.org
God literally had the walls of Jericho collapse. It just fell right in front of their eyes! What a miraculous display of God's power and faithfulness. While he doesn't call us to march around a physical city God is still breaking down walls in our life each day. He knocks them down left and right in response to our faithfulness.
My favorite bible verse is Hebrews 3:13 "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." I love it so much because it challenges us to fight for one another. It is a wonderful example of how we are called to work together as brothers and sisters, how we are all fighting one glorious battle and we are NEVER doing it alone. As someone who both gives and receives love through encouragement I cling to this verse and accept it as my personal mission.
In the last two months I have been reminded in phenomenal ways of just how powerful the body of Christ is. I have seen walls in my own life crumble to the ground. Through it all I have been upheld by angelic, earthly reminders of Christ's love- my friends and family!
I heard this song in the store yesterday and it seemed to fit my situation so perfectly. Right down to the line about February being over, or reading but not comprehending...all of it! Most importantly is the chorus which has been the battle cry of my friends " I'll help you break the walls down. And bust you out, and take you home, believe you me, you are not alone. I'll help you break the walls down."
My friends literally have broken walls and taken me home. How easily we forget that we are called to fight for one another. I challenge you today- who needs your help breaking down some walls?

1 comments:
Honestly I just listened to that song right now for the first time. I read your post the other day...but didnt listen to the song until just now when I was on my computer. That song...is amazing...the message it sends and the way in which it relates to your...and really our situation....and I say OUR to remind you that you are most certainly NOT alone now, now will you ever be alone in this situation or any other. Friends stick together...help eachother...and "do life together"
I love you! So proud of you!
Post a Comment